Monday, May 21, 2012

Should Big Events Inspire Big Thanks

I just returned from my Son's graduation from university. It was a beautiful commencement ceremony, the sun shone in a bright blue sky, the temperature was warm but not too hot, the breeze was mild, and many distinguished persons said kind and hopeful words.

It was a wonderful experience to see my son accomplish his bachelor degree and to be accepted into graduate school. It took him four long years of hard work.

I could not begin to put into words the feelings of pride and admiration I have for my son at this accomplishment. It is a pride I always felt.

I can think of thousands to things to be thankful for in this situation. 
To start I am thankful for:
  • His accomplishment to have received his college degree.
  • His future ambitions in graduate school and beyond.
  • His ability to finish this task.
  • His continued health and well-being during the years of study.
  • His steadfast friends who gave support and companionship during college.
  • His choice to continue in his faith.
  • His good grades.
  • His avoidance of harmful behaviors.
  • His continued good nature.
  • His love of learning.
  • That God has blessed my son even though I have failed to pray faithfully for him.
  • ...The list goes on... and on... and on...
The Conflict of Thanks:
A college graduation is as major a life event as a marriage or birth. We are filled with anticipation as these events approach and watch the details unfold. These events stand apart from the daily affairs of life; but the same God orchestrated, and blessed the big day as much as the little.

To the All-powerful God of the Universe our experiences are trivial compared to the creation and maintenance of galaxies filled with billions of stars. He is also the All-loving God who sent his one and only son to die on the cross for us and even the smallest detail of our lives are huge and command his eager attention.

Do we give a little prayer of thanks for the small and a large gift of thanks for the big when to God they are neither and both?

The Magnitude of Thanks:
Be the events in our lives small or large we owe thanks to the Giver of Blessings. That God blesses us at all with breath, sustenance, life, love and the common things of life are big.

Thanks is outside of rational, to feel gratitude is moral and spiritual. I could say God is big and to him this is small, that is rational; to me it is big and so for me I feel a big thanks, that is spiritual. Because we perceive it as a big event it deserves a big expression of gratitude. 

The Resolution of Thanks:
I am indescribably thankful to God for my son and his graduation. I will find a big way to express my thanks, perhaps a sacrificial gift, or a day of prayer and fasting, or a service project. After all just to say a little, "Thank you," to God is a meager display for something I am so grateful for.

You cannot have thanks without a relationship. To learn about how to have a relationship with God follow this link: Salvation.