It seems God would want us happy and we feel grateful to him when things go our way, but what about those times when things go badly? Should we still be thankful?
The Bible sheds some light on this question.
"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18, NIV.
GOD OF CIRCUMSTANCES
God is the supreme ruler in the universe so the circumstances in our lives are not accidental. We may feel like the world is out of control and that everything is against us, and we may ask, "How can I be thankful in a situation like this?" We must remember that God loves us and has our good as his goal; we can trust in his mercy and kind favor for the outcome of the circumstances.
Knowing that God is the Loving Lord Of All we can be thankful for the circumstances in our lives. It is his will for us to be thankful people who are grateful for his grace in our lives. There are countless scriptures that command, advise, and direct us to be thankful to God.
Maybe the circumstances in our lives right now are not the best but we have much we can give thanks for.
* We can be thankful that we are alive.
* We can be thankful for family and friends.
* We can be thankful for the food and clothing we have.
* We can be thankful for each new day.
* We can be thankful for the little things that make us smile.
* We can be thankful for the measure of freedom we have in this world.
* We can be thankful that God loves us.
* We can be thankful that he forgives us for our sin by the death of Jesus on the cross as our sacrifice.
* We can be thankful that by faith in him we have a hope in heaven that will last forever.
A POSITIVE EFFECT
God wants us to be fruitful people, and to grow beyond ourselves. Being thankful in a difficult circumstance makes you bigger than the circumstance. It takes control over the situation. It delivers our mind from the effects of events to empower us to grow through the situation.
God is right to ask for our gratitude. He deserves thanks. He blesses it. It is an expression of deep faith in his goodness and care. It is a declaration heard by angles in heaven and echoes defeat to those forces in darkness.
To learn more about how to have a hope of heaven through Jesus follow this link: Salvation.