Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Why I am Thankful For Volunteering

It is May and the school year is ending. Awana, the club where I volunteer, also ends its school year program since it is an outreach to school aged children. I am thankful for the opportunity to serve God and community by helping at this club.

HARD WORK
It is hard work. Each week we have to teach a Bible lesson, and that is not as easy as it sounds, since God's Word must be handled with reverence. The kids are a handful since I am helping with the younger ones. Our club meets on Friday nights and it is often after a hard week and we are tired. Every week we need to think of crafts for the kids. The club is about two hours long and that makes Fridays a long day.

CONVINCED
I believe it is essential to give to community- be it Church, a club, or civic organization. When we have gifts from God we are really stewards of those gifts. The gifts God gives us are not for our consumption but for using to serve.

BLESSED
I feel blessed to be able to help in the Awana Club.
  • It has forced me to learn many new skills especially communication skills, if you can get an abstract truth, like heaven, across to the mind of a six year old you can teach anybody anything.  
  • I see that I have grown in character every year I do this. 
  • I feel that I have received more that I give.
  • I am amazed and humbled when parents tell me the kids learn stuff and the parents thank me.
  • I have made friends with wonderful people who also volunteer. 
  • I have learned to be more of a servant and less self-absorbed.
  • Volunteering gives me a bigger perspective on life.
  • I have received friendship and affection from kids and respect and admiration from adult parents.
  • I see God work through many circumstances involving the club.
THANKFUL
I am thankful for this opportunity and all the blessings it has given me. I look forward to autumn when the club begins again.