Monday, February 9, 2015

Thankful For A Surprise Blessing When Teaching Sunday School

For years I have taught Sunday school at my church.  Sometimes I have taught the kindergarten class, the youth, or another age group- wherever there is a need. Currently, I am teaching a class of three-year-old children.  The class averages eight kids who are full of energy but are generally well behaved.

The lessons our church gives us to teach is pretty basic stuff, but somehow I can't resist going a little deeper than the Bible stories of Noah, Daniel, David, and Jesus: I just have to give foundation truths that I hope will be seeds of lifelong blessings to the kids.

 I always have a helper and occasionally two if there are more kids.  My helper these days is a mom of one of the kids.  She is a nice woman and has an advanced degree in computer engineering.  I always felt a little intimidated by her education and sophistication since I have never been to college, but we are there for the kids so I put thoughts of status away and focus on the work of the Lord.

In class this last Sunday as we were gathering the kids to the table for our Bible lesson she beamed a bright smile and said, "I am thankful to be in this class with you since I always learn something when you teach the kids."  I was astounded that she was learning when I taught the kids.  It shows that you never know who you may influence and impact.

I was surprised and humbled. It felt like God was using her to endorse my efforts to teach His word.  I am grateful to be able to serve the Lord in little things and thankful that He blesses in unexpected ways.

 (c)Adron Dozat 2/9/15