Wednesday, April 22, 2015

How The Big Boss Made Me Thankful Today.

These days I work in the mailroom at a not-for-profit where I mostly do printing, order supplies, perform light maintenance, and the usual 'go for' stuff.  It is not hard work and except for the occasional gremlin in the machinery, it is mostly easy.

For a while I had been bothered that some of the bulletin boards in the lobby were not up to date; in fact, they were so out of date that I do not remember anybody refreshing them with new material since I started this job over a year ago.

Looking at what had been there I guessed the theme of each section was and found newer material that was relevant and began to put up new displays on the cork bulletin boards.  At first, they looked dull, so I dressed them up the way school teachers used to do when I was a kid by using colored paper to make little frames and borders.  It took a few days of tinkering in the extra moments here and there between other tasks that I was assigned, but finally, the bulletin boards looked interesting and fresh.

I was very proud of my humble efforts, though I know most people could do better.

Today on my lunch break the executive director came up to me and paid me a great compliment; he said that he was impressed by the bulletin boards and had often wanted someone to do that very thing.  He said it was creative and also had the best choice of the information displayed.

It made my day to think that the big boss would take time out of his busy day to notice a little thing like a bulletin board and look for me to say he liked my work.