Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thank God For Coupons

I don't do coupons very well. I clip them or print them from the web and use maybe 10% of the ones I get, and when I use them it looks like little savings. Today God put it all together for me.

I went to the store for a gallon on milk and some trash bags and while I was wandering the store aisles I saw a buy one get one free price on some microwave popcorn. I do not personally like popcorn, to me it is flavored paper and an excuse to consume unhealthy amounts of salt and processed oils, but my dear wife loves to have a bowlful to relax after work. I remembered seeing two coupons on line that I could print and use to bring the cost down to about 50 cents a box.

I had other errands to do so I stowed the bargain in the back of my spongy brain and hoped to be able to get to it sometime. Later I had a few minutes between dropping off my son and picking up my daughter, so I walked back to the store clasping the coupons in my hand like the fabled treasure of the Sierra Madre. Being a man I went straight to the target, picked up the goods, and dashed for a place in line.

The cashier rung up the purchase and swiped the first coupon across the scanner for a satisfying "Beep," the second coupon caused the computer to cough and groan. It seems when you buy one and get one free the computer does not recognize the sale of the second product and was refusing to accept the coupon. Without a pause the cashier gave it another wave across the malevolent laser, punched some punitive buttons on the keyboard and we got a happy "Beep" of acceptance.

A penny spit out of the automated coin dispenser. I looked at it with my credit card in hand ready to pay the remaining dollar that I owed but the store had a rewards program I did not know about and I had a dollar credit. So not only was it free but I got a penny back.

I almost skipped home with plans to frame the receipt and put it on the wall.

To some people it is crazy to be thankful for a free package of popcorn but every little blessing is from the hand of the Father in Heaven and is worthy of gratitude.

(c) Adron11/5/13