Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thankful For A Small Bonus Paycheck

The company I work for has a program where they share a percentage of the profits with the employees as a bonus check. These checks come out twice a year and amounts to about an extra paycheck.

Yesterday there was a sign next to the time clock that advised the bonus checks were available to pick up at the manager's office.  You could feel the excitement in the air. There was a stream of personal coming and going through the office door all day. Just before the end of my shift I was told to go and receive my check- which I gladly did.

NOT SURPRISE
I didn't open the envelope with the check in it until I got home. My family has bills so I held onto it knowing I was going to deposit it. Finally in my kitchen I opened it and found it less than what I hoped for.

I said, "It is not fantastic, it is just like a regular paycheck, and I would have liked to get more."  For a moment I felt disappointed.

I KNOW
I know I should be thankful. It may not have been a huge check but it was a little extra just the same. Many people do not get a bonus check and the company I work for does not have to give them but they do because they have good reasons to.

DECISION
It took about a day but I made a decision. I decided the right thing to do was to be thankful. I offered a prayer of thanks since then and whenever any thought of disappointment came back I resolved to be thankful instead. Being thankful is the right thing to do no matter the size of the blessing, big or small, we should still be thankful for it.