Friday, July 6, 2012

Why Be Thankful That God Has Blessed Others

It is easy to thank God when He gives you something nice, but when he gives someone else something nicer we may feel things that are not so thankful. We might feel slighted, jealous, left out, or we question and wonder why God is so good to another person but seems to have given us second place.

THE NATURAL QUESTION:
I walk for exercise and I walk pass some neighbors have nicer houses and nicer cars. How should I respond to that? Doesn't God love me just as much? Or have I committed some sin that has disqualified me for blessing?

THE ANSWER:
God does not love one person more than another but loves us all. Blessing is not earned but given by gift, and the gifts of God are founded in the gift of his Son who died on the cross for my sins. No one is more deserving of blessing than the next one- in fact if we were given what we deserve we would be punished for our many sins.

MY PERSONAL RESOLUTION:
Maybe God has not blessed me with the perfect family, big house, satisfying job, new car, or glamorous vacations, but he has been good to me in other ways. I should not focus on how he has blessed others but focus on God, the One Who Blesses.

*     I should praise him for the blessings he has given me.
*     I should praise him for the blessings he has given to others.
*     I should praise him for being generous to all.

HOW I THANK GOD FOR BLESSING OTHERS
When I walk by a beautiful house or new car I no longer say, "Why not me Lord?"  Instead I say, "Thank you Lord for blessing that person, thank you for being a God who blesses. May they be thankful for your blessing and know you gave it to them; and may they serve you with that blessing."