Saturday, October 22, 2016

A Surprising Reason To Be Thankful For Others

Something has been happening in a small group of friends which has given me something to be thankful for that I did not expect.

I direct a small part of a kids club at church called awanas. My class is the kindergarten class, it is a fun and easy class to teach and I have been doing it so long that a lot of it has become rote for me. We have a few teenage helpers who come; some are there really trying to serve God and the kids, but I am sure one or two are there because their families pressure them into going since their younger brothers or sisters are attending the club.

All these youth helpers are a wonderful bunch of kids.

I have tried to do things to build community and relationships in our little team.
     * I have given each one of them extra responsibilities.
     * I have challenged them to become more mature in their leadership.
     * I have tried to organize a few social opportunities so we can just get together and have fun.

The idea of doing something together just for fun is new for me, it is a reach beyond just going and "Doing Awana Club."

I wanted to focus on building relationships in and among the team because I have come to see that a church ministry or service project without relationships is only a program, but when you focus on relationships you can do much more and it goes far beyond that particular event or project.

Teenagers normally congregate in little groups and natural divisions occur based on interest, background, and stuff like that. But as we try to focus on a relationship-based ministry I have begun see the divisions are melting and the youth team is becoming united. They are getting along and they all are looking for each other.

I am surprised at how much I am enjoying seeing relationships grow and friendships begin in our club.  I am thankful that God opened my eyes to the possibilities of a relationship based ministry. I am thankful to see the youth on my team smile at each other and look forward to being together.

I am thankful not because I am getting something out of it like a reward or payback but because I know it is important and good. I am thankful to see their friendships happen and that I had a little part in it happening. I am thankful for what I have been learning about serving God and the community through this experience.



© Adron 3/4/18