Monday, September 22, 2014

Thankful for My Son's Generosity

It has been my my practice to take a chapter of Proverbs from the Bible and to pray it through for my kids. I would read each verse and pray the topic of that verse for them and nowadays for friends too. The exciting thing about this approach is that in Proverbs every concern in life is dealt with, so I am able to consistently pray about their attitude to work, friends, folly, alcohol and many other things.

Recently while visiting my son who is away in college I observed his reaction to the homeless where he lives. I was surprised and full of admiration at the respect, kindness, and generosity he showed each that came to us asking for money. Every time he had a kind word, a gentle manner and a dollar or more.

A verse I often pray for him is "He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD, and his good deed will he pay him again." Proverbs 19:17.  I feel that God has answered the prayers I have offered up for my son that he would be a kind and generous person.

It is ironic that I am his parent and I am supposed to set the example for my son but his example put me to shame, since I talk Christian virtues but he showed me what it is to live them.

I am thankful that God has blessed my son with character and with values that reflects a Christ likeness in his heart.

I am grateful to have seen the results of prayers prayed for him, and I feel more resolved to pray diligently for him.