Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Why Do We Fail To Be Thankful

I have so much to be thankful for, yet I so rarely express my thanks. What are the reasons for this? Is it selfishness, blindness, arrogance or a lack of conviction that I should be thankful?

WE HAVE MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR:
Just looking at the surface of my life I have many blessings; wife and family, job, a place for my family to live and enough food to eat. I have transportation, live in a stable community, and enjoy better than average health.

Even beyond those generalities the recent events ought to cause an up-welling of thanks. I should be thankful for...
  • My two kid's recent graduation from schools. 
  • A nice time over the holiday weekend.
  • Safety on the road going and coming for me and members of my family.
  • Sitting down as a family tonight to share dinner together.
  • That I was able to help someone today at work in an extra way.
  • That I had some pleasant and quiet moments outside in the garden.
  • For riding a bicycle to and from work is getting me in shape.
I could add many more to the list of things I am thankful for today.

ONE CAUSE OF FAILURE:
Is it because our lives are so busy and we are running from one activity to another that thankfulness gets pushed to a place of lesser importance? We have fun things to do, entertainments to enjoy, and activities that while away the hours. We have jobs to perform, goals to achieve, and duties to perform. Soon the day is done and we are asleep in beds to get some rest and hopefully have a full and active life tomorrow. There is nothing wrong with all those activities but we are just too busy to take time to stop and express to God our thanks, and that is wrong.

MY SOLUTION:
It is good to resolve to give thanks more. I will make it a point to give thanks daily by making time in my schedule and keeping that appointment with God to give thanks. I think a logical time would be after evening meal or before getting ready for bed when I can look back on the day and thank God for the many blessings he gave.