Thursday, December 5, 2013

How I Became Thankful For Other People That Inspire Me

These days I am working a second job at a department store as a cashier to help with extra expenses of the Christmas season. I work there after my shift at the grocery store and finish at 11PM.

You can tell when a customer is going to be a problem. Cashiers get this sense and then avoid the ones that are going to have a lot of needs and request, like for checking prices, argue about coupons or want everything bagged in some special way, meanwhile, the line backs up and the next customer blames you for making them wait.

Late last night a man and his wife in modest clothing were slowly pushing a cart loaded with toys past the registers. I suspect other cashiers began to busy themselves so they didn't make eye contact, which is a sure invitation to come to their line. I am paid to do my job, so I waved them over to my check out station.

The cart was over full with every kind of toy; dolls, books, arts and crafts, building blocks, sports equipment, balls, action figures of superheroes, games, and more than I can remember. As the total ran into the hundreds I began to look at the couple wondering what kind of family they had since the toys were all ages and interest.

"You must have a lot of kids and grandkids," I said.

"No, these are not for our family."

"Oh," I looked at them.

"Every year we give to 'Toys For Tots.' We drop the toys off at the fire station where they collect the toys and give them to needy children. For some children, it is the only toy they get.

I was amazed- they were spending hundreds!  They did not wear fine clothes, the wedding rings were modest, his shoes were falling apart and his shirt was frayed at the sleeves, this couple was not upper income, possibly not even middle income.

I gave the total with the expectation that they would say it was too much and then begin the frustrating process of taking things off the purchase so they could afford it all.

"We will be splitting the payment up." He said as he held out some cash in his callous worn hand. I counted the twenties and tens and told them the remaining balance. Next, he gave some gift cards for small sums.

I felt for this couple, I have observed as a cashier that when people are having money problems they split the payment in different ways to draw from multiple meager sources.

"Put $150.00 on this card." He said swiping a credit card through the card reader. "And the rest on her debit card."

They spent more on kids that they do not know and will never meet than I earn in two weeks on both of my jobs.

"I hope you don't spend all year paying this off." I offered sympathy for what I thought was sure to be a burden on their income.

"No, we plan for it; we set money aside and sometimes I get extra work and put a little away."

As they left carefully pushing a shopping cart that had toys piled three feet high, I had a feeling as if the angles above were looking down as a witness to their act of gracious giving.

I felt humbled by their generosity. I am thankful to have met them and inspired by their act of sacrificial kindness. I pray that our Heavenly Father blesses their kindness and rewards them liberally for their sacrifice. I hope in some small way to follow their example of giving.