Thursday, December 13, 2012

Why I am Thankful For My Boss

Most people are not thankful for their boss or supervisor at work. A lot of people feel that their manager gets in the way of the work or is always telling them what to do. Some bosses are rude or not considerate of the people they supervise, some are just poor managers.

I have a part time job at a grocery store, it is hard work. You are always standing on your feet, you don't get regular breaks, the groceries can be backbreaking to lift in and out of shopping carts after a few hours and many customers have problems that are hard to fix.  It is a fast pace environment where we are always needing to stop one thing and jump to another. The pay is not that great.

AS A CHRISTIAN
I try to be the best employee in the store. *

     * I try to follow every instruction carefully and quickly.
     * I try to have a willing attitude and will rather be wronged than to be a complainer.
     * If asked to go get something I trot as quickly as is safe.
     * If asked to clean something I make it shine.
     * If there is a moment of idleness I search for some task to do, like cleaning.
     * If asked to do anything my automatic response is to say, "I'll be glad to do that."
     * If asked to do a nasty task such as clean the restrooms I do it joyfully and diligently.

IN THE BOSS'S OFFICE
I was confused when the boss sent someone to my station at the cash register with the message to go to the office- normally this is not a good thing. The boss said, "Come inside I need you to sign something. Just know this will be a permanent comment on your employment file."
"What is it?" I asked.
"A Record of Exceptional Service." He then proceeded to read a letter of commendation he wrote giving praise to my manner of work, with my willingness to do whatever is needed, and my good attitude.  "We are aware of your diligence and we know we never say thank you enough." He said, shaking my hand.

I was very grateful to be recognized by management. As I left his office I explained it is by the power of Jesus living in me that I am able to live as I do. I am thankful that Jesus is in my life and he enables me to be an encouragement and light in my community.


*See the Bible, Colossians 3:22: to read it click here. See also Ephesians 6:5 to read it click here.

If you want to know how to have Jesus in your life follow this link: Salvation.