Thursday, August 23, 2012

Why I Am Thankful On a Busy Day

I began this day with many frustrations and apprehensions. I felt there was too much to do and I wouldn't get the important things done or enough things done to feel satisfied in the day. But it turned out OK since I spent time being true to my Lord in Bible Reading prayer and seeking God's guidance and provision at the beginning of the day.

MORNING
I had to drive my wife to work since we have only one car and many in our family needed to go different places. It was nice to just have a few moments with her, though they were few and we mostly listened to the radio; we each knew the other was listening and we were sharing the moment together.

I had to drop off my daughter to her band practice at the High School. It was fun to banter a little with her on the way.

When I got back home I was able to spend time exercising. It is a goal I have to exercise every day with some light weights to keep my upper body in shape and trim.  I often feel that I am not getting to exercise as much as I would like to, so I felt like I was achieving a goal this morning

TRUE TO MY VALUES.
I read my Bible almost every day and it is a value I have that Bible reading is important for my spirit; but some days I am too busy for this important discipline.  Today I resolved to spend time seeking God no matter what else I didn't get done. I spent time telling him all my issues for the day and how much I wanted to get done and I expressed why I felt some things were difficult, liking borrowing a rickety extension ladder to clean the gutters on my roof.

I had to drive kids to different doctor's appointments and they were smooth without problem.

THE GOOD SAMARITAN AT THE BICYCLE SHOP
I had to fix my bicycle since I need to ride it to work most days and the gear shift lever broke. The bicycle repair shop is not far away so I stopped in and told them I needed to get a new lever they asked me some questions about the method of shifting, if it was with a click or a slide. I didn't know, so I went home and rode the bicycle to the shop. They quickly identified what I needed and I got a fair price. I asked about a rear red reflector which is the law for my state when bicycling at night. They didn't have one on the shelf, so I said I will try another store later. Then the mechanic came out with a reflector which he said was a spare part that I could have for free; in fact he had two and since my bicycle was unique, having a milk-crate for cargo and the milk-crate obscured one reflector he gave me a second one for a higher line of visibility above the milk-crate. Not only that the mechanic took about ten minutes and put the reflectors on for me free of charge. I felt very grateful for this fortuitous blessing and the extra level of safety it gives me.

ON THE ROOF
I hate climbing on my roof to clean the drains. Today my sons were home and help set up the thirty foot ladder then they held it steady while I climbed up. It was hot up on the roof but I was able to sweep the leaves out of the drain and make a minor repair.

The neighbor's tree hangs over my roof and threatens to damage it. Since I was on the roof I trimmed the branches. Every time I come home I would walk up to the house and look up at the overhanging branches with worry, so it was a great relief to be able to get on the roof today and deal with it.

I was able to pick up my daughter from band practice. It was wonderful to see her coming from the band room with nice friends all laughing together.

I was able to pick up my wife from work and have a few wonderful moments together

EARLY EVENING.
I was able to finish the repairs on my bicycle by installing the replacement shift lever. Since I was working on the bicycle I took time to make a few other tune ups to the cables and brakes and the basket. I am not a good bicycle mechanic and felt gratified to be able to get everything working.

WHAT WAS NOT DONE
I felt there were a few other things I needed to do but the day ran out, but I am thankful that these big things were done. I feel that the things I didn't get done were not so important now that I look back and I see that spending time with God in the morning gave the entire day inspiration.