Friday, December 14, 2012

Can We Force Ourselves To Be Thankful?

Some days you finish everything you have to do and go everywhere you have to go and it was a busy day but when it is over you don't feel thankful. You know you should be thankful but there is nothing all warm and bright bubbling up inside you.

TOO BUSY TO GIVE THANKS
Such was my day. I ran errands, first with my son, and my then my daughter. I did dishes and a load of laundry, swept floors, read my Bible, got groceries, wrote in my journal, fed the cat, and cleaned up the cat's box. painted a picture, cooked in the crock pot, and these are only some of the things that occupied me today. I don't feel thankful, but maybe being thankful is not a feeling but something else.

BUT I KNOW...
     * I know I should be thankful.
     * I know it is the right thing to do.
     * I know God deserves my expression of thanks.
     * I know I want to be thankful.

AN AGENDA
I think I need to schedule times in my busy day to be thankful. Perhaps that is why so many have the tradition of giving thanks at meals. Eating is something most healthy people do a few times a day.

Will giving thanks on cue force me to be thankful? I think it will and even if it doesn't then to be thankful is too important to not do on cue, on the clock, and without advance notice.

THANKFUL IS
If being thankful is not always a feeling perhaps it is a decision and a commitment; so I will practice giving thanks throughout the day. I will try to make various milestones to be a point at which I give thanks even if I do not feel like it.