Monday, July 15, 2013

Thankful For My Daughter

Last week I was helping with a kid's drama camp at church and I took time off from work to help build and paint a stage set for the performers in the musical. My teenaged daughter was my assistant for the week.  Halfway through the week I had to go back to work, so I told the camp directors that my daughter would take my place.

That night she didn't sleep well because taking things seriously she kept thinking about all the things that needed to be done for the stage and the props.

The next day I went to work and she went to drama camp at church. She worked about ten hours. She worked with the youth that she had to supervise, some were her own age others were older or younger, but she was in control. Then she stayed late painting and attending to the many details of set design and prop manufacture.

The last day she saw the project to successful completion, and stayed available for the directors who keep coming up with more props and designs for the stage. They even had her set up a gallery to display the 60 crafts that the kids made during the week.

She did great. All the reports I got from the adults was that she did a fantastic job with the set crew, and that she was a dependable "go to person" who got things done for the directors.

I was thankful to see my daughter accomplish so much; she showed leadership, determination, tact, creativity and many other qualities for which I am proud.