Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thankful for Baking Bread

I'm an old man, at least my kids tell me I am.  As I get older I get more headaches from cheap grocery store food because they have a lot of chemicals like preservatives and artificial flavorings. More and more things seem to give me headaches. I have slowly been adopting an all-natural diet; however, I have found some things say they are all natural but they really are not.

One thing I tried to do this week was to bake my own bread out of organic whole wheat. I thought it would be a disaster. I bought the ingredients and followed the instructions, even though I did not know what some of it meant and some of it I misunderstood. It took forever to add the flower to the mix little by little and when it got all mixed in it was like stirring half set concrete. The dough never did rise as I thought it should have, maybe I was too impatient, and I think I baked it for a little too long.

Even though those things went badly the bread came out of the oven more or less OK. It was stuck to the side of the pan and sunk down a little at the top but it was eatable.

I had a peanut butter sandwich on it and it was good, and the buttered toast was great. I am delighted that I can still learn something and that I can now enjoy affordable bread with no preservative or chemicals.

I feel that in all of this God was with me. I have often asked God to help me understand my headaches and I am thankful to be able to learn that I can avoid them by avoiding the chemicals in my food that cause them. I am thankful that I can still learn a new trick now and then. I am thankful I can be confident the future loaves of chemical free bread will be even better.