Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Why I Am Thankful When The Car Broke Down

The kids needed my car and my wife was using the family van, so for the last week I have been driving a car on loan from my wife's sister. It is an old car and she hasn't driven it for a while. She was not sure what to do with the car and it has a history of breaking down.

I was on my way to work in the borrowed car going over a little rise in the narrow road when the dash lights came on and the engine went off. I coasted to the little bike lane and sat.  The thing would not start up.

It was a quart low on oil and I wondered if it had some sensor that caused the engine to shut down to protect it from damage due to the low oil. There was a market about four blocks back so I walked to the market and bought some oil.

While returning to the car I heard someone call my name. It was an acquaintance I knew who shopped at the grocery store I worked at. He was driving by and spotted me. He stopped to help.

After adding the oil the car still refused to start.  We both thought it sounded like it was out of gas, but it had been filled up only a couple of days ago, and still had three quarters of a tank.

"Can I give you a ride somewhere?" He asked. I told him where I lived and that I would like to get my son and come back with the other car and arrange for the tow truck. We actually had a nice ride and a nice talk about family, town and local history. I couldn't thank him enough when we got to my home.

My son and I returned to the car about thirty minutes later. I was afraid I would see it as the cause of a wreck since it was a narrow lane where I left it but God must have set an angelic guard to deflect cars.

We tried again to start the car but it wouldn't start. A call to the auto club had a tow truck on the spot in ten minutes.  While the tow truck driver was attaching the car to the truck a van pulled up and inside it was a woman waiving at me. At first I thought she was with the tow truck, like a supervisor or something. I walked up to her and she turned out to be another acquaintance; she said, "I know you, you work at the grocery store. Is everything all right? Are you OK?"

"Yes" I replied, "The tow truck will take the car and my son is here with my other car."

"You don't need anything? I saw you and came back in case."

"No, I am fine. Thank you." I felt glad for the lady to stop and check on me.

The auto club allows free towing for the first four miles. My mechanic was five miles and it turned out that last mile cost four dollars. I happened to have eight dollars in my wallet- this is unusual since I rarely carry cash. I was able to pay the driver and give him extra for his good service. I felt grateful to have a little for a tip.

Later at home I thought about all the ways the Lord was watching over me.
     * The car was safe even though it was in a narrow busy road.
     * I felt touched that two people in the same morning stopped in their day to kindly offer help.
     * The Tow truck was only ten minutes away.
     * I happened to have the money to give the tow truck guy and a little extra for a tip.
I believe the Lord watches over us in our problems and he has ready solutions. Sometimes the solution is endurance to go through it or sometimes it is deliverance like today.

The auto repair shop called and advised the problem was fuel sensor.