Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Thankful that God Provided Extra Work On My Job

Yesterday I was scheduled to work only four hours at my grocery store job. I had been aware of this since the schedule was posted a few days before. I was discouraged to see the reduced hours since times are tough and cashier's wages are slim to begin with. I asked if more hours were available but the answer was vague, it seems everybody in the store has been given fewer hours.

In the morning the ground had over an inch of fluffy white snow. Since there was no need to pack a lunch for a four-hour shift I used the extra minutes to get an early start. Good thing too, the roads were slushy and mixed with icy slippery patches.

I arrived at work a minute or two early and began my shift. A few minutes later the phone rang at the customer service counter, moments later it rang again, and then a third time. The customer service manager was becoming more upset with each call. It seems that some of the other cashiers had phoned to say they were not able to come to work because of the snow or illness.

I went to the service counter to look at the schedule. The person who was supposed to take over my register at the end of my shift was crossed off.

"I can work that shift if it helps out," I said.

"That would be great!" The manager exclaimed, "In fact, I'll buy lunch for you!"

The combined shifts were an hour and a half more than I would have normally gotten, and a free lunch besides made it a good day.

God had plans all along.

(c)Adron Dozat 3/4/14