Monday, December 1, 2014

What Can You Do When Being Thankful Is Boring?

The practice of thankfulness is a decision that needs constant reaffirmation. I get tired of telling God that I am thankful for this or that. Of course, I am thankful but I get bored with the same old expressions.

I am thankful to God that I have a job, I am healthy, my kids are doing well, for my wife, and for my home. I am thankful, but expressing it in another prayer today seems old, and didn't I thank God for these same blessings yesterday?

This is a dangerous attitude. If you feel bored with thanksgiving you may begin to neglect it altogether, which is an insult to God who gives blessings.

Our lives should be an expression of gratitude. Giving service to God and mankind is as valuable an expression of thankfulness as a prayer said in King James prose. Acts done in God's name are as valuable an expression of thankfulness as any devotional worship, but such offerings should be done with the intent of giving thanks.

We should not minimize the value of verbal thanks to the Almighty, but when it gets dull and boring thanksgiving needs to be revisited and reinvested in.  Acts of service with verbal expressions of gratitude make us less likely to put thanksgiving in a compartment of our faith that is distant from our daily activities.

We should all resolve to give thanks with our words, prayers, songs and verbal expressions; and we should resolve to give thanks in actions big and little done in the name of God.(c) Adron 12/1/14