Thursday, July 5, 2012

Why Thankful On My Birthday

I celebrated my fifty sixth birthday this week. A birthday is a perfect time to reflect on the blessings that God has given and a good time to be thankful.

There are so many blessings I could thank the Lord for that I never could do so, all I can do is to list the most notable and generalize.

I am thankful...
*  For my good health, when many my age are infirm or suffering the effects of ageing.
*  That I have a job, even as a grocery store cashier when others are looking for work.
*  That I can ride a bike to work, others have no transportation.
*  For a wonderful wife who is far better than I deserve.
*  For wonderful and talented children.
*  For Jesus my Savior who died on the cross to pay for my salvation.
*  For home and simple possessions.
*  For talents and skills I have been given by God.
*  For the places I've been to and the things I've seen.
*  For many opportunities I have had to serve him and others.
*  For friends and family.
*  For music.
*  To live in a country that is secure and has freedoms.
*  To be surrounded by my loving family on my birthday.
*  God's watchful protection over me each day.
*  For a chocolate birthday cake and that no one tried to put 56 candles on it!
*  That I have found forgiveness for my sins in Jesus my Savior.
Needs:
I have needs and there are issues with things like kid's education, finances, future retirement, debts, making the mortgage and many of the same problems that all my peers experience but I see the hand of God is full of blessing he has met my need in the past so I look to him to meet my need in the present and future. I believe these needs are just the staging for future blessings. 

Blessings Withheld:
There are areas of my life I would like to see more blessing and success, I am sure that the level of blessing or the lack of blessing is in itself a blessing for the hand of the All Wise and All Loving God moves over my life like a baton of an orchestra conductor bringing out the most beautiful music of a symphony. So for God's Divine wisdom in my life I am thankful.

The Grand Truth Of It All:
Why am I thankful? Every day of every year, indeed every minute of every day, is filled with God's blessings; and to think that I have had 56 years of his blessing is overwhelming, and causes me to feel humble by God's magnificent grace.