Sunday, August 26, 2012

Thankful For a Thoughtful Friend

One of the things we are blessed with in our lives is the friendships God sets around us. These friendships are truly a gift from God who knows how much we need friends.

At church today a dear man came up to me before the worship service and inquired about my family's financial difficulties and some problems that I am having at one of my employers.  After taking a few patient moments to listen to my woes about debts, poor pay and bills he asked if he could pray for me. "Of course you may." I replied.

"May I pray for you right now?" He asked, and I replied "Yes you may."

He put a loving hand on my shoulder and bowed his head. He prayed a sweet and generous prayer of faith and confidence for God's provision that I couldn't help but be encouraged and uplifted.

It was such a touching thing to have someone pray for me on the spot, not just the, "I'll pray for you." and then go away and forget that is so common. This was an expression of genuine Christianity.

I am grateful for the wisdom of God to give friendships to us. I marvel at the many benefits of these relationships which research continues to discover. I am thankful that the church I go to is full of godly men who truly care and put actions into their faith. I am humbled to find godly saints in my circle of friends of whom I can only aspire to be worthy of and hope to learn from.

I have reflected on his kindness several times throughout the day and his action of faith has boosted my own faith.