Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thanking God For A Prayer Answered

I thank God often during my day and make it a practice to thank him at length before I retire at night.  It is a good way to end the day, and you can't help but sleep better after having your head full of the goodness of God who provides.

I pray about lots of things during my day too.  Most people pray only about the major issues in their lives and I feel this is a loss to them.  I remember those in the Bible who prayed silently in their hearts during a crisis, and God answered their prayers as much as if they were shouted from a mountain top, so I pray silently many, many times during my day at work, or home, or going about the business of what I have to do.

I have been praying lately about a young student I have in the art class I teach.  This student is a nice, honest, sincere person, but not an artist.  I felt I have not been able to connect with this young person; I say draw a line to the right and the student draws to the left; after which smiles with pride at something that has no resemblance to project we are all working on.  I say let's draw a square or circle and the student makes marks that have no similarity to any geometric shape.  The student is normal, and has no disabilities; this one is just not an artist.

My heart breaks for the student.  I wish I could somehow communicate what I want the young person to do.  I have prayed many times over this struggle.  I pray while driving to the class and pray the night before as I try to design projects to help his skill.
     * I pray for wisdom,
     * For insight,
     * For an appropriate lesson plan,
     * For sensitivity to the child's heart.

Two things happened because of prayer.  First, I resolved that I would embrace his style of whatever it is he is doing, and give praise, (which I already do), but give it even more liberally; maybe my frustration at his results might have been in my voice without my realizing it, doubtless, the Lord was guiding these thoughts.  Second I got an idea or was given it by the Lord, to break down the lessons to the most basic components and teach those components one step at a time. The nature of the class allows me to give individual attention.

I went to the class the next day, reinforced with more prayer and the new plan.  In only a few minutes it was obvious that the student and I were connected in a new very dynamic way.  God had answered my prayers for this situation, the student began to see the concepts I was explaining and demonstrating them in his sketchbook. My feelings of frustration are replaced by excitement at the student's style.  I am very grateful to the Lord for the blessing of success in a little way in the life of a young artist.  Now when I look at his work I say, "Wow, what an inspired drawing! I would have never thought of going in that direction."  Inwardly I wonder if there might be another Picasso, Van Gogh, or Monet in my hands.