Saturday, November 17, 2012

What Can Happen On A Thankful Walk

Today was a beautiful day and it is always easy to be thankful if the sky is blue and the weather is nice outside especially if it is a Saturday off from work.

Autumn Path 
I feel that if God gives us a beautiful day it is wrong, almost sinful, to not go out and enjoy this blessing. So after a few household chores I spent some time outside on a beautiful autumn day. It was pleasant to rake the leaves today, normally it is not a job I like to do, but I was thankful to do it in the nice weather. I was able to watch blue jays race between trees and chase after each other and dig up grubs or whatever it is they pull out of the grass. I listened to squirrels scamper in the fallen leaves.

Yellow Leaves Over The Creek
I took a walk on one of the paths near my home. For some reason I felt I should bring my camera. I am glad I did listen to that nudge and found many beautiful scenes to photograph on the bike path. The leaves were beautiful and the light was different on the path since the trees were barer.   I felt inspired by all the colors even though most had fallen, but the few that remained were stunning.

During this walk I did a lot of talking to God. It was more casual in the way you would talk to a friend. I was feeling freer to tell God not just my formal prayer petitions but to express my feelings and thoughts about matters. I don't feel praying while walking is as focused as kneeling in your room but it is a good way to practice the presence of the Lord. I felt that it was like I was getting a lot off of my chest and lighting the load in my mind. I felt he was blessing my time with a sense of closeness, where God is not just The Lord Sovereign of the universe but companion and friend.

We should always be thankful for our blessings. That is not very hard when they are physical, but we must also remember to be thankful for the one who gives the blessing. We should thank God that God himself is a blessing, and he wants to be our blessing. I am thankful to have a relationship with God and pray others have this relationship too.

Red Autumn Leaves

Adron