Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Why I Am Thankful To Vote

Today is Election Day in the United States. It is the end of campaigns, television ads, much arguing and prayer for many in America. After watching debates and reading commentaries after listening to uncountable commercials and after seeing everything lampooned and joked about we get serious and almost reverent as we go to our polling place and vote.

I am thankful to be able to vote. I am grateful for the many patriots who had the vision to establish a free country where I have this privilege. I feel not to vote would be an insult on the blood of those who gave their lives for me and my generation to have this blessing.

I am thankful to be in a country that has the freedom to vote, it is sad that so many do not have this freedom and it is offensive to those who wish to vote for any of us to fail to vote. I know as I cast my ballot I am shouting a call of liberty to those live under oppression. A country that has freedom to vote is a hope to those who are oppressed.

Perhaps nothing states so clearly our many freedoms as much as the right to vote, our freedom of speech, of assembly or of worship, and others that we take for granted stand in its shadow.  These freedoms, though bought with the lives of many, are none the less a gift of God; and that same Sovereign God may withdraw that gift if I offend him by neglecting it. As with all the other blessings he has given us if we do not treasure them God may allow us to lose them.

I am prayerful about my vote and cast it with a certainty that I may have to give account to my God some day for how I used the blessings he has given me in this life. I go into the voting place not just with pride but with a great sense of awe and reverence.