Thursday, November 8, 2012

Why We Must Be Thankful Every Day.

I believe it is good to be thankful, but being thankful must not be just an occasional statement. Gratitude for our blessings must go deep and need to be nurtured often. We get busy and begin to take things for granted. Thankfulness must be a daily habit and that by choice. If we begin to say, "I observed a time of thanks the other day so I don't really need to reflect on my blessings today," then we begin to louse value of those blessings; it is a slow corroding process, and leads to indifference.

Sometimes I say to myself, "I thought about my blessings yesterday or the day before and I made a little note in my blog then so I don't really need to today." I know it is unhealthy and ungrateful. I might feel I say the same things, like I am thankful for a blue sky and having a job and a wonderful wife so often I am tired of saying it; but it is good to say it, because it preserves the gratitude I feel for those things. Even though I said yesterday that I was thankful for my friends and my car I am still thankful for them and I should say it again, these friends and blessings are worth it.

Today I am thankful for many things.
     * I spent time with some friends at a meeting tonight.
     * I was able to celebrate the achievements of some young artist.
     * I was able to teach a drawing class to some kids.
     * I was able to see the blue sky.
     * I have mostly good health for a man of my age.
     * I was able to read a few chapters of my Bible, pray, and meditate.
     * I was on time to all my appointments.
     * I was able to pet the cat.
     * I heard an inspiring essay by a minister read by some young actors.
     * I was able to deliver some work to an art show for some students of mine.
     * And like yesterday and the day before I am thankful for my family, wife, job, and home.

Adron