Sunday, December 23, 2012

Why be Thankful on Sunday

This morning when I got out of bed I felt very tired. Yesterday, Saturday was a hard day at work, and I slept poorly. It took a long time for the coffee to brew and as I watched it slowly dripping I debated whether or not I should go to church. My back hurt and my knee was sore. I felt that I had many excuses to call church off and get some rest on the day of rest.

I knew that going to church is the right thing to do. I knew God should be worshiped and thanked in the company of those who honor his name. So I went.

I still felt tired and my back still hurt, but I was glad I did. I was glad to be able to give worship to God. I was glad to sit with my family, and share some time together. I felt inspired by the worship.

I felt the day was blessed thereafter. I spent time with family members and got some chores done, enjoyed working on an art project and even a driving lesson with my teenage daughter. I wonder if the day would have gone so well if I just gave in to the temptation to lie in bed and skip church.

I know God is not going to be bribed into giving blessings; we don't approach him and say, "If I do this good thing, you can bless me for it."  We do the good thing because it is right and if God in his sovereignty and grace grants blessing it is to his glory not mine.