Friday, April 5, 2013

Thankful for Help

Once a week I volunteer to help at a kid's club at church. It is rewarding as well as fun. Any organization that is manned by volunteers is going to have staffing issues. This week was a semi holiday since it was spring break for the local schools, and many families were out of town. One key couple already advised me they would be going away, and I suspected other adult leaders would be gone. I was concerned during the week that we would have a lot of kids and not enough adults to have a meaningful club meeting. I prayed about it several times.

I arrived early and began to get ready by rearranging the furniture in the room for the kids to have Bible class, craft time, and puppet theater. After a few moments a church member entered the room. He was someone I know and see often at church playing guitar on Sunday mornings leading in worship.  He said that he and his wife were going to be helping our club. They are both professional people and have long hours on their jobs, also they live about three quarters of an hours drive from the Church.

They dove right in and gave themselves wholeheartedly to serving the kids in tender ways. It was very touching and I felt very grateful for these two to give up so much of their time and at a sacrifice to come and sing songs with children, and help little ones with crafts and play games, so children will feel loved and learn about God's love.