Sunday, August 18, 2013

Thankful for The Kindness of a Stranger

I daily have blessings but don't find time to share them. Once in a while one is so overwhelming that I must share it.

My daughter is a talented musician and plays in several bands in and out of school. She even auditioned to be in a local professional marching band and of course she got in. We are glad to see her enjoy her talent and share her gift.

The band was to play at the stadium before the preseason football game. We scraped together some cash and got two tickets for the game so we could see our daughter marching and playing music on the field. These stadiums are huge and hold tens of thousands of people. Our seats were high up less than half way- not bad but they did not afford the best view.

When my daughter's marching band came out my wife left her seat and rushed down over the steps through the crowd to the railing where she hoped to take some photos of the performance. "She went to take pictures of our daughter." I boasted to the people sitting next to me. "Oh?" They replied. "My daughter is in the marching band. I think she is way over there." Way over there was a long way off; the performers were small and hard to tell apart in their uniforms. I leaned forward straining my eyes when I felt a tap on my arm. The woman sitting next to me offered her binoculars which they brought to watch the game.

Looking through the binoculars I clearly saw my little girl over a hundred yards away standing in formation and doing her part. I saw her excitement, her occasional misstep and her pride. With pride and joy I watched her every moment and followed her as she marched. I would not have been able to confidently pick her out among the others were it not for the binoculars proffered by the woman sitting next to me.

I wished they could have stayed on the field longer but the pregame show ended and I gave the binoculars back. "Thank you, Thank you for your kindness, I could see her clearly, Thank you."

We want to live our lives as blessings to others but sometimes we are privileged to receive a blessing. I am grateful for the kindness of these strangers. May the Lord bless them in return.