Thursday, August 29, 2013

Why I Am Thankful For Good Health

While visiting with a friend from a faith community we once attended I was told about her husband's cancer surgery and follow up radiation treatments. The poor man, who is a minister and is much younger than I am, has had some complications. He is dedicated to the Lord's service and continues to minister from home where he is confined because of the current complications.

I have some health issues too, but nothing which compares to what my friend is going through. I know the Lord has His purposes for allowing the hardships we face. I know the Almighty is both loving and wise.

I do not know if I have what it takes to go through the test my friend is going through. I am grateful that God has blessed me with good health; I am able to go to work, do chores, spend time with my family and enjoy much of the blessings He has given.

I feel inspired by my friend, though he is going through a life threatening experience that could tip one way or the other yet he still loves Jesus his Savor without reproach and is committed to serve him. I feel honored and blessed to know him.

Without diminishing or belittling what he and others like him are going through I am thankful that I have not faced this test. I pray when my time comes I can endure it with the same nobility and grace that my friend has.