Sunday, September 8, 2013

How A Memorial Service Made Me Thankful

Today I attended the memorial service of a family member who passed from this world to eternity with the angles and saints in heaven.

The memorial was as picture perfect as one could have wished, as if the Almighty was adding his amen to a life of service and devotion. Family and friends sat in a house of worship while others gave tribute to our dear uncle in words and readings. Clergy and congregation offered prayers and sang beautiful hymns of comfort and hope.

Testimonies were presented about his life of service which was a tribute to him and an inspiration to us. Some spoke of experiences shared with him that were noble and we all believed it is possible that we too could find grace to follow his example. Some spoke of his compassion and service and we felt that we wanted to walk in his footsteps as he was following the footsteps of Christ.

It was a beautiful service that left us all feeling touched and comforted. The service made us not sad at his passing but thankful to have known him during his sojourn on this earth.

I left the memorial service thinking that I am thankful to have known my wife's uncle; he was a godly and giving man. He served as a minster and was dedicated to the Lord, the church and community. He was a man who spoke out against injustice and took a stand for the oppressed. He was known to have an extraordinary sense of who was hurting and was quick to bring comfort no matter what the personal cost.

I am thankful to have seen his example.

I am thankful to recall conversations where he left me inspired and challenged.

I am thankful to see how one life can have a positive effect on so many others.

I pray that when I departure this earth others will feel grateful that they knew me.