Friday, September 13, 2013

Why I am Thankful for the Dentist

Most people agree that going to the dentist is not an appointment they look forward to. I have been in the chair many times and have had numerous fillings and other procedures. So going to the dentist makes me think, "Here we go again; needles, and pain that you have to pay money for.

My loving wife scheduled an exam and cleaning on my behalf. I saw it on the calendar with alarm and have looked at the calendar with askance ever since. The day arrived in spite of my best attempt to put it out of my memory. I thought I would contrive some reason to cancel but didn't know what was worst- facing the dentist or facing my wife who would be hurt that I slighted her care for my dental well-being. So considering the lesser of the two evils I showed up for the appointment on time. 

Like most Americans, I go for my yearly cleaning and exam every five or six years. I knew I was in for it.  The dentist gently took x-rays that showed immediately on the computer monitor, he carefully moved the mirror around my mouth and with a probe prodded my gums and teeth. "I'm sure my mouth is full of cavities," I confessed. "Nope no cavities," he replied. "But you are brushing too hard, use a soft brush." He then showed me how I needed to improve my brushing so I will not wear out the enamel. Who would have thought? I figured I was not doing too good a job and it turns out I was actually doing too good a job! 

I am thankful that I do not have any cavities or problems. I am thankful to learn ways of improving my brushing. I am most thankful for my good wife who cared enough to schedule the appointment for me.

(c) Adron